The Tryon Presbyterian Church was organized in 1922 by a commission from King's Mountain Presbytery with thirty one members. Worship services were held in the old Methodist Church and also at the movie theater on Pacolet Street in Tryon until a church building could be built. On Easter Sunday, 1927 the first service was held in the newly constructed church building located in downtown Tryon on Freeman Hill.
By the 1950s, the church was growing and needed a larger facility. In 1955 after 28 years in the red brick church on Freeman Hill, a building committee was appointed. Property known as the Pacolet Plantation on Harmon Field Road was purchased from the Erskine Family.
In the beginning, the church planned to acquire the land and raise funds for the building. However, on Easter Sunday in 1956, a letter was read to the congregation from Mr. Frank MacGregor offering to donate a sanctuary in memory of his sister if the church would build the educational building. The MacGregor's were not members and resided in Tryon only part of the year. The church members were amazed and gratefully accepted the offer.
The building committee worked with local architects, Shannon Meriwether and Holland Brady, Jr. on a design which would meet both practical and aesthetic considerations yet would not overwhelm the pastoral setting. Mr. Meriwether designed the sanctuary in the shape of a ship to honor Mr. MacGregor's sister who died and was buried at sea on her way to France to serve with the American Red Cross during World War I. Dedication services were held on October 12, 1958 with special music composed for the occasion by Betty Brewer.
In 1967, the mortgage for the educational building was burned. In 1968 a manse was built on land behind the church. The Robert Dick Memorial Bell Tower was given in 1972 by his family in memory of Robert Dick, a dedicated elder.
In 1982, a Moeller pipe organ was given by Mr. Arthur Farwell in memory of his son. The organ was updated in 1999 with additional digital stops and an en chamade trumpet bringing the total number of ranks to 30.
In 1997, the church initiated the Stephen Ministry program and continues to install new leaders in this ministry to the congregation.
A major building renovation took place beginning in 2017 with fundraising and construction in 2018. This included enlarging the sanctuary, creating a welcoming, enclosed narthex, adding bathrooms, A/V equipment and new furnishings. The pipe organ and stained glass windows were removed, restored and reinstalled. Slate flooring was installed throughout. The completed project offers more flexibility and accessibility while maintaining the architectural integrity of the historic structure.